Comedian’s New Year’s Eve Toast Derailed- HILARIOUS Heckler Exchange
I thought this would be a good way to start out your year with some laughs, cheer, and good vibes.
A quick video from last weekend’s He Said She Said Comedy Show that I do with Katrina Brown.
She was getting ready to close out her set, when someone from the crowd sent up a shot.
The ending is what I think the funniest part is considering her husband “The Yeti”
was in the audience in the back.
The heckler interaction is priceless.
Many comedians (not all) but many become immediately discouraged when their set is
interrupted by something like a drink being brought to the stage or an audience retort.
In a theatre or large club, hecklers and what-not are complete distractions mostly because nobody knows them or cares, they want to see the comedian. They also can barely be heard and it throws off the rhythm, pace, and timing of the show. It’s very much an unwelcome dynamic.
However… when comedy takes place in nightclubs, taverns, and neighborhood bars, that’s not necessarily the case. Most of the people in audience know each other. They have local inside jokes. It’s an intimate atmosphere that naturally lends itself to conversation.
In those situations, I actually enjoy brief, controlled exchanges with the audience. I welcome them. I even encourage it- in a very subtle way. I like that it gives the comedian a chance to show off their improv skills. The audience loves it. It makes you real to them, and not just a rehearsed performer reciting a script.
Often times, they THINK they helped. Well, in a way. But professionals like myself and Katrina Brown can do 90- minutes -plus each without any interruptions. I just think the banter makes the show more fun. About 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, it’s usually just a drunk douche ruining the fun.
In this case, the banter led to a very funny-by-accident exchange. And those are always my
favorite, most memorable comedy moments.
The key is the comedian must have the ability to roll with the punches and control the situation.
Not through brute force and intimidation, yelling, insulting, or a battle of wits. Sometimes that’s necessary, but many times if you got the right moves as a performer, you can easily incorporate it into the show, making a better experience for the audience overall and a uniquely creative moment in time.
So it’s good business and artistically fulfilling.